Metal Tiger Plc
25 February 2016
Metal Tiger Plc
("Metal Tiger" or the "Company")
Strategic and Operational Update
Metal Tiger plc (LON: MTR), the London Stock Exchange AIM listed investor in strategic natural resource opportunities, is pleased to announce the key findings of a Strategic and Operational Review (the "Review") undertaken by the Company.
The summary findings of this review are presented below:
- Metal Tiger will now comprise two renamed divisions: Metal Projects and Asset Trading to reflect the activities of the Company.
- The Metal Projects division comprises of the Company's direct investments in holding companies for project operations on the ground. These include the Company's interests in Botswana, Spain, Thailand and Tanzania. This division would also house any other direct project investments acquired by Metal Tiger.
- The Asset Trading division encompasses the Company's equity, warrant and royalty trading. All activities seek to generate cash inflow, in order to mitigate the need for external dilution through share placings.
- The Company's objective is to deliver significant returns for investors and the Board believes that the best and most prudent way to achieve is by making strategically diversified investments in natural resource projects at or near the bottom of the cyclical sector downturn. For this reason the Metal Projects division will become the main focus of the Company. This recognises the scale and significance of Metal Tiger's assets in Thailand and Botswana plus the extremely positive exploration progress made in Spain to date.
- Asset Trading will continue to remain an active division and current assets include natural resource equities, long-dated warrants and potential royalties. It is the Company's intention to continue trading such investments in order to generate profits for reinvestment in the Metals Projects division. Recognising the Company's focus on Metal Projects, reporting on Asset Trading will now be restricted to the half year and full year results, save where we are required to announce transactions for regulatory reasons.
- The pipeline of opportunities under review but not yet acquired by Metal Tiger is extensive and includes traditional mineral opportunities, resource technology and resource related fintech interests.
- From time to time additional project interests may be added to the Company's portfolio; though we will remain mindful at all times of any additional working capital requirements such additions may bring.
- There may also be occasions when, rather than acquiring projects directly, we will choose to assist vendors to joint venture or dispose of interests directly into other listed vehicles. In such circumstances Metal Tiger may receive fees in the form of cash, shares and/or warrants; thereby helping to build our working capital position whilst ensuring a successful commercial outcome for the work we have done in building an active pipeline.
- In all cases the Company will seek to structure investments and other transactions in a tax efficient and pragmatic manner and continues to seek on-going specialist advice in this regard.
Key Strategic Objectives
It is the Company's belief that, with the bottoming in the mineral resource sector, the time is now right to make new acquisitions and develop new interests. Metal Tiger's first key strategic objective is therefore the acquisition of high potential strategic metals projects whilst applying prudent levels of investment in order to elevate the value of each project as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Recognising the cyclical nature of the natural resource market, Metal Tiger's second key strategic objective is to ensure that a clear exit strategy is in place to reflect the cyclicality.
- Therefore, as the sector recovery ensues we will continue to drive the value of our investments in order to increase the value of the Metal Tiger business in line with the recovery. Should the sector begin to show signs of overheating, as is typical in a cyclical market, we intend to distribute all or a portion of any significant crystallised capital gains to shareholders. This may entail the distribution of shares in new entities or cash returned, as far as possible, in a tax efficient manner.
Board and Management Structure
- Metal Tiger announced a management restructuring on 8th February 2016, and we are pleased to confirm that all role changes have now been implemented smoothly. All Board members retain a commitment to the future success of the Company and will be actively engaged in the decision-making process as we move forward.
- The functional business structure of Metal Tiger has been enhanced to reflect the growth of the Company during 2015 and early 2016 and the needs of the business for the foreseeable future.
- The Company has now appointed a new Chief Financial Officer, Company Secretary and Office Manager. All new team members have been appointed on a flexible basis, reducing the initial fixed cost to the business whilst allowing for increasing commitment as the business continues to grow.
- The Company is currently reviewing a pay and incentivisation structure that will link the overall compensation package of all team members to the share price performance of the Company.
Company Advisory Network
- The Company has undertaken a review of its advisor network to ensure all providers are suitable to assist the Company as it continues to expand in an efficient and cost-effective manner. This includes all regulatory and non-regulatory providers and specifically including those providing geologist services and mine engineering consultancy.
Business Marketing & Communications
- Metal Tiger will publish 'Quarterly Activities' reports to summarise key Metal Project developments in the preceding quarter, with the first report to be produced by the end of April 2016 in respect of the quarter ended 31 March 2016. This will align the Company with normal reporting in established resource markets such as the ASX and TSX, demonstrating the international nature of Metal Tiger operations and the Company's willingness to secure interest from an international investor base.
- The Company is currently reviewing the work of all media partners and will organise future communications through partners in the most efficient manner possible.
- Metal Tiger is keen to leverage its social media presence; which has proven to be an efficient and powerful tool for engaging with investors and disseminating the Company message.
- The Company's website is being extensively overhauled to include features such as an opt-in mailing list for people to subscribe to Company updates; a library section where articles relating to the Company's activities will be published; and a gallery section with images being regularly published across key project interests.
Finance and Working Capital
- Metal Tiger is keen to maintain a healthy working capital position at all times. Crystallisation of trading profits and fundraising through placings undertaken on reasonable terms, attractive to the Company and investors, have enabled Metal Tiger to achieve this objective to date. Since the start of 2015 Metal Tiger has been able to raise over £1.3 million through placings undertaken at or around the mid market price including £240,000 invested personally by the Company's Chairman Terry Grammer.
- Proceeds from fundraisings undertaken in 2015 and 2016 have been targeted to the expansion of Company interests and the acquisition of new opportunities during what we believe to be the bottoming phase of the natural resource market.
- Metal Tiger remains open at all times to the disposal of assets on highly attractive terms and the Company recognises the importance of incoming capital in order to defray dilution.
- Metal Tiger maintains a strong working capital position and a significant level of private investor interest and support which is of critical importance for a company at our stage of development.
- It is essential that that we are also on the radar of larger institutions whose engagement will be key to any larger scale future investment. The Company has therefore appointed an experienced Institutional Liaison Manager to complement existing brokerage contacts and to forge introductions to family funds and larger UK and overseas institutions currently active in the natural resource sector.
- The Board is of the opinion that institutional funding does not generally engage with micro-cap companies within the resources sector (i.e. Market Capitalisation less than £20million), however we are of the view that in a recovering market, as our business advances, our share price and overall market capitalisation should increase to reflect progress in our business, at which point full-scale institutional funding would become a viable proposition.
- Notwithstanding the above, Metal Tiger has recently received expressions of interest in financing Company investments at plc level and project level. Such expressions of interest come from traditional high net worth investor funding sources and from larger non-traditional institutions in the UK, Singapore and elsewhere.
- The Company enjoys a strong working capital position, and therefore the Board would not necessarily be inclined to take up such offers of funding. The Board is confident that the Company will be able to access such additional working capital as may be needed in the future to continue to deliver on the Company's key objective. For certain projects, the Board is particularly interested in the possibility of obtaining project level financing, which if successfully obtained would provide the capital necessary to ensure rapid acceleration of such projects without diluting plc equity.
Paul Johnson, Chief Executive Officer, commented: "Metal Tiger has grown its business interests rapidly since the Company was created in mid-2014. However, we are aware that market has largely been focused on the equity trading activities undertaken by the Company, whilst perhaps not fully appreciating the rapid growth and forward potential of our highly prospective projects division. The result of this has been that many investors see Metal Tiger as an equity trading and portfolio investment business.
As those who follow the Company closely will be aware, internally we have been increasingly focused on the acquisition and development of interests in major projects, most notably to date with our work in Botswana, Spain and Thailand.
The purpose of this strategic review is to change the market's perception of our business in this regard and ensure that future investor focus is on our larger projects, from which we see the biggest opportunity for gains to be made, particularly as the mineral sector recovers from its extended declines over recent years.
The Metal Tiger board believe that, through our existing interests and new opportunities, we have the potential to build a very large mineral resource business. To achieve this, our business ethos, corporate structure and day-to-day investment operations must be robustly scalable and fit for purpose. We are therefore working hard at a strategic level to drive the Company forward and also on a functional level to ensure the Company has the means to manage the increasing demands that will be placed upon it as we continue on our growth trajectory.
Metal Tiger enjoys a significant level of shareholder support, for which we are most grateful and the board of Metal Tiger is particularly excited at the potential value-generative prospects for shareholders in the Company in the short, medium and longer term."
For further information on the Company, visit: www.metaltigerplc.com:
Paul Johnson (Chief Executive Officer)
Tel: +44 (0)7766 465 617
Terry Grammer (Non- Executive Chairman)
Tel: +44 (0)207 099 0738
Spark Advisory Partners Limited
Tel: +44 (0) 2033 683 555
Tel: +44 (0) 1483 413 500
Notes to Editors:
Metal Tiger plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange AIM Market ("AIM") with the trading code MTR and invests in high potential mineral projects with a precious and strategic metals focus.
The Company's target is to deliver a very high return for shareholders by investing in significantly undervalued and/or high potential opportunities in the mineral exploration and development sector timed to coincide, where possible, with a cyclical recovery in the exploration and mining markets. The Company's key strategic objective is to ensure the distribution to shareholders of major returns achieved from disposals.
Metal Tiger's Metal Projects division is focused on the development of its key project interests in Botswana, Spain, Thailand and Tanzania. In Botswana Metal Tiger has a growing interest in the large and highly prospective Kalahari copper/silver belt. In Spain Metal Tiger the Company has interests in tungsten and gold interests in the highly mineralised Extremadura region. In Thailand Metal Tiger has expanding interests over licences, applications and critical historical data covering antimony, copper, gold, silver, lead and zinc opportunities.
The Company has access to a diverse pipeline of new opportunities focused on the natural resource sector including physical resource projects, new natural resource centred technologies and resource sector related fintech opportunities. Pipeline projects deemed commercially may be undertaken by Metal Tiger or by an ISDX or AIM partner with whom the Company is engaged.
Metal Tiger also has an Asset Trading Division that holds various financial instruments for trading purposes including equities, warrants and royalty income. The aim of the division is to generate profits to reinvest into the Company's project based activities.
This information is provided by RNS